Friday, December 9, 2011

Basement Artist Studio

What started as 'I need to clean up my space' turned into a two day total clean out/up of my basement Art Space! I cleaned off every shelf vacuumed up every spider carcass as well as a few live ones and rearranged the furniture a dozen times before settling on this set up.

Our basement is concrete and two years ago my husband with a little help from me, cleaned out the space and painted a lovely yellow color. I have taken the liberty of 'creating' a separate space by hanging fabric over the area where we store house painting supplies. I used a fabric shower curtain that we used at previous residence yet I still loved, to shield my eyes from the shelves that house cleaning supplies. This gives a nice backdrop to the book shelves and still allows any natural light that may come in through the tiny basement window. I employed a piece of peg board to hold lots of scissors and other items I would like visible and handy!

A friend who has moved to Idaho left behind this tall table so I wanted to find a way to use it in my space. I think this works! You can see the peg board and wheelie carts that I use to hold more stuff to create with. Eventually I will clean those out too! Behind the long table was an awkward space due to the way the concrete was poured long ago with a 'shelf'. It's about 2 and a half feet deep and runs the perimeter of the basement. I used metal shelf units to allow me to stack clear boxes with supplies; easier to reach and see through so I know what is in them. 
I also have rolly carts which house paints, pencils, pastels, and tools for my work; this works well because I can roll them closer or move them if needed. I have used metal garden pots that are about two feet tall to house rolls of paper and reused the bottom of a box to hold up larger papers and boards there in the corner. The lighter area there with bars... that is the other window in the basement. You can see I have a power strip which hangs from the ceiling and have attached lights to the rafters. My mom contributed a string of LED lights which are on a battery I have those hanging from the ceiling also. 

Here's another picture which shows the box organization station a bit better. Though in the picture it still appears cluttered, it is actually quite organized and currently spider free :) 

Now that I have a clean space I can't wait to get in and dirty it up by creating some wonderful art!! 
Hope to post some soon!! 
Until next time....



1 comment:

  1. looks GREAT! Working with "What is" and being very resourceful and enthusiastic - Go Suzy!

    ReplyDelete