Friday, April 20, 2012

Moving forward...

Woo Hoo! I will be a vendor at the St.John's Bizarre this May 12th and am hoping to be accepted to the Kenton Street Fair which would be tops!
I have been working on some new pieces to put in shows. I am learning a lot about wood and how different types burn differently. Hardwoods definitely take a lot longer to produce art on! Though the effects are nice, the time it takes is sometimes daunting!
Here is a picture of a salmon which is done and an owl in progress. I took the picture at the raptor rescue in ID an am working from that image of the owl.
 And now for the finished owl...

This has a lot of detail in it and was quite the undertaking. Due to working on hardwood, this took many days and about 15 hours to complete. I really, really like this one! I like it so much that I traced the outline and attempted to re-create it on an old cabinet door. The door is made from Doug Fir which is much softer and burns much faster so it only took a couple of days to complete. 

After working on such large pieces, I decided to simplify and work on a smaller board capturing the essence of spring flowers that are progressing this year much better than last year! The weather in Portland is much warmer than it was last year, we may even have summer this year! Yeah!! These are wood-burned and then painted. The Black Eyed Susan's were a bit more detailed than I had originally planned on but I think they turned out well. 

The Poppy turned out exceptionally well, I think. 
A little glimpse into what I have been up to lately, with more to come! I am looking forward to warmer and dryer weather so I can work outside doing the artwork I love! Burning wood inside is stinky and though I wear a mask, tends to stick in the already clogged sinuses of Spring! 
Comments and suggestions for backgrounds are most welcome! 
Enjoy the change in seasons and welcome change in life!! 






No comments:

Post a Comment