Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Gulp! Stepping out of a comfort zone.

I took a big step last weekend.
For me, it was larger than large; a culmination of working through issues, confidence and fears. It's going to sound like not such a big deal when I see it in print however, it was a big deal.
I have always been an artist, creator and at times inventor. A creative being doesn't stop being creative when the work day is done. It's always on. I have been wood-burning, painting, clipping, cutting and pasting in a fury for the last few weeks. Planning and preparing, researching and purchasing, waiting for deliveries and updating accounts. My mom (still to this day) preaches: Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance. And it's true. I planned accordingly and the event came off without a hitch!
Ok, so I put my artwork and myself out in public, at a bizarre/ fair, for all to see. I was a vendor at the St. John's Bizarre - which is a tiny venue in small town America. But it was a giant step for me. It was a warm up to putting my art out to bigger and better things! The Kenton Street Fair is on May 20th and I am more excited for this event, it's closer to home.
I received a lot of great responses to the artwork and many Kudos's from my friends and colleagues regarding the set up. The ladies set up next to me were amazed that I had all the bases covered and that I sold stuff! I was encouraged by Christie, one of the two vendors next to me. She explained that when she did her first show, she sold nothing. She said she cried and went home wondering why she chose to do it at all. I have to admit, I had similar thoughts up until she told her tale.
I sold 5 pieces and did not stress over needing something to complete my booth or having enough to sell. Now that it has been a few days of processing, I am ok with how it went and now look forward to the next adventure in Kenton!

No comments:

Post a Comment